Share your concerns about plastic pollution or plastic production with a local politician.
As citizens, it’s our job to get politicians thinking critically about what needs to be improved in our communities and around the world. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you can educate people in power and inspire them to act.
What you need to know:
- Local politicians are extremely busy, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t receive a response right away. Give it some time and try again.
- Elected officials want to hear from you! Whether you live in a big city or a small town, your local government is made up of a city or neighborhood council, town board, or other officials you can access directly.
What to do:
- Observe and take note of plastic pollution issues in your community.
- Find the website and contact information for the city council or board member that represents the neighborhood, town, or village you live in.
- Write a letter, make a phone call, or send an email sharing your concerns about the plastic problems in your community.
- Earn 2 extra Hours for including your data from the Track Litter with Litterati Action.
What to watch out for:
Local politicians are extremely busy, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t receive a response right away. Give it some time and try again.
- Keep your engagement concise and get to the point.
- If you’re making a phone call, practice what you’re going to say or write yourself a script to follow.
- Local politicians spend a lot of time in the community, so you may have an opportunity to deliver a letter in person.
- Check out the calendar of events on their website.
- If you get stuck on your initial communication, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can help you out.
Track Your Contribution To Solving Plastic Pollution:
Submit 10 Action Hours for approval: Complete the form below.
Cover image photo credit: August de Richelieu on Pexels
Where to next?
Explore the lessons and actions that build off this one to continue on your journey to address the plastic problem!
Support the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act
Sign your support for this incredible nation-wide bill on plastics.
Attend a City Council Meeting
Let your city council know how you feel about plastic and what they can do about it.