Pack a plastic-smart lunch for three consecutive days.
To inspire change in others, it’s important to first make changes yourself. Experience what it’s like to be plastic-smart on a small scale, starting with your lunch.
What you need to know:
Notice how we didn’t say “plastic-free” lunch? A plastic-smart choice may include durable plastic items like Tupperware containers and anything else that can be used over and over again.
What to do:
Pack a plastic-smart lunch for three consecutive days that avoids all single-use plastic from this no-no list:
- Beverage container
What to watch out for:
- You may not be able to bring glass containers to school. Check with admin.
- Your friends might think you’re crazy at first, but they’ll catch on. We promise!
- Consider switching out gummy snacks for an apple or orange.
- Foil can be used over and over again.
- Use non-plastic reusable items whenever possible. Over time plastic chemicals have the potential to leach out and could get into your food, especially if the container is exposed to sun and/or heat.
- Check out Algalita’s plastic-smart lunch pack, and send us an email to sign up to enter our monthly raffle to win your own!
Track Your Contribution To Solving Plastic Pollution:
Submit 6 Action Hours for approval: Complete the form below.
Cover image photo credit: Sandra Harris on Unsplash
Where to next?
Explore the lessons and actions that build off this one to continue on your journey to address the plastic problem!
Get Creative With Artivism
Make a video that teaches others how to pack a plastic-smart lunch. Share tips and tricks you learned.
Conduct a Single Use Plastic Home Waste Audit
Take it to the next level with a plastic audit for your home. Get your family involved!