Photo credit: Antoni Shkraba on Pexels
Start a litterless lunch trend at your school!
Time Commitment: 2 Hours
Range of Impact: Home, School
This Action was created in collaboration with Hannah Smailes, founder of SeaGood.
Why this Action is impactful
Sharing is caring, especially when we’re sharing our ideas for a better planet.
What to know before getting started
The Nude Food trend and Litterless Lunchbox Toolkit were created by Hannah Smailes, a 17-year-old Aussie conservationist and educator, and one of our original Student Mini-Grant awardees! She’s working to change the culture around packing lunch to be healthier and more sustainable. You can use her Litterless Lunchbox Toolkit to learn tips for packing a litterless lunch. Share the link with your friends and classmates so they can join in.
What to do
Pick a day, and get at least 5 friends, classmates, or teachers to pack a litterless lunch! Upload a photo of your litterless lunches. A litterless lunch must not include:
- Single-use plastic baggies
- Single-use plastic utensils
- Single-use plastic straws
- Single-use plastic wrappers
- Single-use plastic beverage containers
Tips and suggestions
- Make it a competition! Challenge your friends, classmates, and teachers to see who can pack a litterless lunchbox the most days in a row. Or have classrooms compete to see who can reduce their waste the most. Prizes like reusable packaging can be a great incentive and build some friendly competition in the school.
- You may not be able to bring glass containers to school. Check with admin.
- Use non-plastic reusable items whenever possible. Over time plastic chemicals have the potential to leach out and could get into your food, especially if the container is exposed to sun and/or heat.
Track your contribution
To submit your work and get recognized for your contribution to your community, complete the form below. If we approve your submission, you’ll be awarded 6 Hours.
Multiply your impact
Share a picture of your litterless lunch. Don’t forget to tag us @algalita and use the hashtags #nudefood #litterlesslunch #wayfindersociety #plasticpollutes
Check out the educational videos below to learn more about this topic.
South Australia, Australia | Litterless Lunchboxes
Litterless Lunchboxes is all about fighting single use plastic waste in lunchboxes: educating school communities about the issues and providing solutions to help them fight plastic!
Read Hannah’s story
Do another Action
Check out our other Actions that build off of this one!