About the Positions
Algalita is looking for two candidates who are passionate about our mission and values and who will bring their unique talents and perspectives to our team. We are a small and innovative organization, headquartered in Long Beach, California. Board members enjoy the benefits of working with a fun team who is relaxed and welcoming. While the staff run the daily operations and programming, the Board of Directors provides guidance, oversight and evaluation of the organization, the program areas, and the Executive Director. Algalita Board Members are expected to serve a 2-year term, attend 6 board meetings per year, and participate in committee work. We are proud to be a collaborative group that enjoy motivating each other to make a big impact.
Algalita is internationally known as the organization that started the movement to end plastic pollution nearly 25 years ago. We were the first to discover, and bring attention to, the swirling soup of plastic pollution in the Pacific. In the two decades since this discovery, Algalita has sparked connections between scientists, policymakers, corporations, young change-makers, and subject matter experts across the globe. Today, Algalita investigates to educate. Our mission is to design and deliver educational experiences that empower individuals to understand the full-scope of plastic pollution’s impact on people and the planet, while also providing tangible ways to support solutions. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
While most of our in-person programming takes place in Southern CA, our online and virtual programs have an international reach.
Location: Long Beach, CA
Our board meets every two months to discuss organizational strategy and sustainability. Virtual participation is available, however some in-person events will be mandatory. This is a volunteer opportunity, and no previous board experience is required.
A great opportunity to build your resume!
So that Algalita can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Algalita expects to have 100% of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. To that end, the Board has established an annual “give or get” contribution threshold of $100, which can be satisfied through monetary donations or in-kind contributions of services or other resources.
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as they develop and implement Algalta’s strategic plan.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Algalita for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approving Algalita’s annual budget, financial statements, 990s, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ensuring Algalita’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive board and staff that reflects the communities Algalita serves.
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Take on special assignments and serve on at least two committees and/or official roles annually. Representing Algalita to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Assisting the Executive Director and Board President in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
We journey together
It will take a diverse mix of thinkers, doers, and feelers to push forth long-lasting solutions to our environmental and social challenges. We deeply believe diversity and inclusion are the real grounds for creativity and positive change, and we’re committed to delivering programs and creating teams that foster a sense of belonging for all. Algalita provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.